Make Up Removal - The Eco Friendly Way


Source: https://sustainability.nus.org.uk/articles/wet-wipes-the-dark-side

During their annual Great British Beach Clean last year, the Marine Conservation Society found 27 wet wipes for every 100m of beach they surveyed - a 94% increase from 2016. Make-up and baby wipes are made of a combination of synthetic cellulosic fibre and plastic fibres, and, you guessed it, as they degrade and fragment they release micro plastics. You may also have heard about the enormous fatberg as long as Tower Bridge clogging up London sewers, this was made up mostly of wet wipes glued together by fat and oils that have been poured down the sink. Yum.  In fact a study by Water UK found that 93% of sewer blockages were caused by wipes, even the ones marketed as flushable.


Source: https://www.cotton.org/

Unfortunately cotton wool pads aren’t a much better option. Aside from the fact they always come wrapped in plastic, the non-organic cotton industry also uses almost a quarter of the world’s insecticides and 10% of its pesticides. So if we buy non-organic cotton pads we are unfortunately supporting a huge source of environmental pollution that poisons rivers and animals, as well as causing serious health problems for cotton workers.  Over-exposure to pesticides can lead to asthma, neurological damage and cancer. It is estimated that in the developing world 20,000 individuals die each year as a result of pesticide poisoning, while in the US more than 10,000 farmers die yearly from cancers resulting from pesticides. This really shocked me. Obviously cotton wool pads are just a tiny fraction of the cotton we use/wear/sleep on, it’s incredible how unaware we can be of the impact our seemingly innocent purchases can have. This information is likely to lead to more lifestyle and shopping changes for me, but that’s a subject for another blog.


I have to keep reminding myself that it’s one step at a time, and small changes can make a big difference. The good news is that we can very easily cut single-use wipes and cotton out of our make-up routine, and it will save us money in the long run!  I’ve been using these washable cleansing pads for a couple of months now, and I honestly will never go back! I bought them from an independent seller on Etsy; they’re organic, super soft, and feel a lot more luxurious than a face wipe or cotton pad. I find the towelling side to be gently exfoliating as well, and they take the majority of my make-up off with just warm water. When you’ve used them you can just put them in the washing machine with the rest of your laundry and they’re ready to be used again.


For the stubborn make-up that water won’t remove I’ve found a new magic product that doesn’t come in a plastic bottle and is 100% natural and free from weird chemicals we can’t pronounce. Admittedly, Jojoba oil isn’t that easy to pronounce either (it’s ‘hohoba’)but it does seem to be a wonder oil!  It has many uses, but I mostly use it for removing make-up (it’s even totally safe for eye make-up) and as a moisturiser. I know using an oil as a facial moisturiser sounds weird, especially if like me you have oily skin, but trust me on this. Jojoba oil is noncomedogenic so it doesn’t block pores, in fact it is very similar in texture to human sebum (the stuff that gives you an oily face) so when used as a moisturiser it can actually reduce skin’s production of the excess sebum that causes oily skin. It works the other way as well, as dry skin is caused by a lack of sebum, so jojoba oil moisturises skin when our bodies can’t naturally. It is also hypoallergenic and contains loads of antioxidants such as Vitamins E and B5, which are natural anti-aging nutrients, as well as iodine which is antibacterial and therefore fights break outs. I know, this miracle oil sounds too good to be true, right? Having used it for the past couple of months I can honestly say that my skin feels a lot less oily, as well as super soft! I’ve tried loads of different “oil control” products and none have been as effective as jojoba oil. As far as break outs are concerned, I can’t really say I’ve noticed much difference, I’m lucky enough to never have had a major acne problem, I get the odd break out in problem areas every so often and that hasn’t changed since I started using jojoba, I’m interested to see whether my zit-frequency reduces over time though! I would definitely recommend it to anyone. Prices range from around £6-£20, but it will last you ages as a little goes a long way and you only need the tiniest amount. 


So that’s how I’ve drastically reduced the waste of my beauty routine, and having tried and tested the natural, chemical and plastic free way I couldn’t recommend it more.


I got my cleansing pads from a seller called MichelleGoodSoaps on etsy, here’s her link:
There are so many to choose from on etsy, though, so shop around to find the right product for you.

I got my jojoba oil from an American company called Leven Rose, they had a UK Amazon store but that seems to have closed now.  There are plenty of other sellers on Amazon, however. The main thing that you are looking for is that it is organic, 100% pure and cold pressed, and that it comes in an amber glass bottle, as this extends the shelf life of the oil.



References
https://ecofriendonline.com/2016/03/31/why-organic-cotton-vs-non-organic
https://www.mcsuk.org/clean-seas/great-british-beach-clean-2017-report

Comments

Popular Posts