Zero Waste Haircare



This is a quick post to talk about how you can take care of your hair without producing any waste whatsoever!

1. Shampoo bars
I've been using shampoo bars for about six months now and I'm definitely a convert. They're great because they create absolutely no waste, you literally use them until there is nothing left. They work much like a soap bar - just rub them to produce a lather and wash away! Since zero waste has become more fashionable you can get them in loads of places - on the high street there's Lush, but also there are many small businesses that make them. My favourite is Zero Waste Path - they use renewable energy and have thought of everything when it comes to the process of making their products - they are completely zero waste and all natural!

Some people do go through a transition phase when they first make the switch to natural shampoo, because conventional shampoo contains silicone that coats hair to make it look shiny. This may leave your hair feeling slightly waxy for a few days while it transitions. My hair quickly got used to it, and now feels better than ever since it's not being stripped of its natural oils, plus natural shampoos often have super nourishing ingredients like coconut oil in them to make your hair soft.



2. Apple Cider Vinegar Rinse

It may sound a bit weird, but trust me it makes your hair feel amazing! Because natural shampoo bars are slightly alkaline, it's good for your scalp to apply a bit of ACV as an acid rinse to prevent irritation. I use the recipe of 1 part ACV to 2 parts water, plus a few drops of essential oil, in a spray bottle and apply to my hair after washing. Make sure it's washed out thoroughly, but if you can still smell it on your hair it does go completely when it's dry, don't worry! The spray is good for regular use, but when I first made the switch I used the same ratio for a bigger rinse which helped with the transition phase.

3. Conditioner bars

You don't necessarily need conditioner with natural shampoo bars as they're so moisturising, but I use mine once a week or so just to keep my hair extra soft. It works in same way as a shampoo bar, lather some product on your hands and apply to your hair.




I hope this post inspires you to make the swap to reduce your plastic waste in your hair care routine!

Comments

Popular Posts