Camagüey


Is Camagüey worth a visit? If it were closer to the other destinations we visited in Cuba then I would 100% say yes. Its labyrinth-like streets and eclectic architecture make it easy to enjoy a day or so exploring the city. I loved wondering around taking in the sights and browsing the many little galleries. BUT would I say it was worth our four-hour trip from Trinidad, and nearly eight hours back to Havana? Probably not. Yet, if you have more time than we did, and want to explore the Eastern part of Cuba, then I would definitely recommend spending the day in this lovely city.


Try not to get lost, which we did more than once, as you navigate your way around the city's many beautiful plazas. A favourite of mine was Parque Ignacio Agramonte, a shady oasis flanked by a pretty church and beautifully facade-ed buildings. Local artist Joel Jover's house doubles as a free gallery on the North side of the square, and is definitely worth a visit.


Also worth a visit is the studio-gallery of Martha Jimenez Perez, in Plaza del Carmen. Don't miss her sculptures of three gossiping women Chismosas out in the square.


I can't let this post go by without mentioning the fact that the Casa we stayed in was filled with cute animals! As soon as we arrived and a little labrador puppy bounded up to greet us we knew we had chosen the right place. The other cats and dogs there were also super friendly and very keen for strokes, which we very happily obliged them with.

 


Overall I would say Camagüey is a lovely city and well worth a visit if you are planning on travelling to other places in the area, I just wouldn't recommend going too far out of your way to get there.




Heading to Cuba? Check out the seven things I wish I'd known before my trip

Comments

Popular Posts