Tips for a first time solo traveller



Normally when I tell someone about a solo trip that I'm planning or have been on, their first reaction is, "wow, you're so brave", or "I wish I could do something like that". My reply normally goes something like this: it's really not as scary as it sounds, you can do it, and you should!

Having taken several solo backpacking trips all over the world, I've definitely experienced the highs and the lows of being an independent traveller. I will be honest, it's not always easy, and going it alone can have its challenges. But, I can wholeheartedly say that solo travel is incredible, the experiences you will have on your own are completely different to those you would have with others, they will change you and shape you as a person as you are pushed out of your comfort zone into something far more exciting. You will get braver, and you will meet brilliant and interesting people whom you would probably never have spoken to if you hadn't being going it alone. In fact, I think taking a solo trip is something that everyone should experience at least once in a lifetime. I've made mistakes and learned from them on my various adventures, and you definitely will too - it's part of the fun! But, there are a few things I wish I'd known before heading out that first time, so I've compiled a list of tips to share with anyone who is planning, or thinking of planning, their own solo adventure.



1. Stay in hostels.

First of all, this doesn't necessarily mean sleeping in a dorm room. I know that for some people, sleeping in a room full of complete strangers sounds hideous. Personally, I don't mind it, and though I have had some less than pleasant experiences, for the most part it's been absolutely fine. Just bring ear plugs and an eye mask and your golden, but that's a whole other blog post. If dorm rooms are really not your thing, a lot of hostels do actually have single rooms available. The main reason I would advocate for staying in hostels is the social aspect of the common areas. Once you're out there, you'll quickly find that solo backpacking isn't that unusual, there will be plenty of other people just like you who want to make friends, and they'll all be congregating in the hostel common area. A lot of hostels will also organise group activities to get people talking, which leads me nicely to my next tip...


2. Go on tours

Almost every hostel you go to will be offering up tours run either by themselves or their affiliate guides. I've been on varying types of tour, from a couple of days away in a neighbouring country, to a free hour's walking tour of the city, so this can work for all budgets. I have found this to be the best way to meet and get talking to like-minded people, and have made a lot of friends this way, some of whom I'm still in contact with. It gives you a really easy way into a conversation with people, especially if, like me, you're a bit shy and can feel daunted by just going up to someone in a hostel bar. Just any old bland comment about whatever it is you're looking at, and you're away!


3. Fake it til you make it

Like I said, I'm naturally quite shy, so it can take a lot of courage for me to just approach people, but solo travel is not just for loud, confident people. Chances are that person sitting on their own who you're trying to work up the courage to talk to is feeling exactly the same way as you. But one of the beautiful things about travelling alone is that no one there knows you, they don't know you're shy, or scared, and even if they did they probably wouldn't judge you for it. The worst thing that can happen is that someone is rude or brushes you off, but that's their loss really, isn't it? You know who you are, the opinion of someone who doesn't know you and will never see you again does not matter, and it certainly won't change that. So just be brave, take the plunge, and act confident until you feel confident.



4. You will have a what am I doing moment

I can still remember the first night of my first solo trip, sitting in a dorm room asking myself what the heck I'd gotten into. It's totally normal to doubt yourself, and to feel overwhelmed, particularly on your first night. But things will get better. That first trip turned out to be one of the best experiences of my life. Feeling scared is totally normal, and also totally ok - going to another country on your own is a big deal. Don't get mad at yourself for feeling the fear, just get on with your trip and you'll soon start to wonder why you were ever scared in the first place.



5. Check in online so people know where you are.

During my first (non-solo) backpacking trip when I was 18 I was able to get into an internet cafe maybe once a week to go online and let my family know I was still alive. Now it's soo much easier! Most places in the world have Wi-fi available, so keep your family and friends updated as to where you are so people know your movements if something bad were to happen. You can also message ahead to hostels you're staying in to let them know when to expect you, I've done this a couple of times when I've been a bit nervous about a particular journey, and it's always good safety-wise to have someone expecting you. Obviously you'd have to be very unlucky for something bad to happen to you on your trip, but if the worst happens then it's better that people know your last movement and when to miss you!



6. Book ahead.

You may not want to book all your accommodation in advance (part of the fun of backpacking is the freedom to choose day to day after all)  but I think it's important to at least book your first accommodation in advance. Both for peace of mind, when you're tired after a long journey you don't need any extra stress, and for safety, it's good to have a base to get your bearings from the first time you visit a new country. I like to book transport to the hostel from the airport, or at least know the best way to get there by public transport, before travelling as well, again for peace of mind and safety. If there are scammers about they can very easily take advantage of you if you don't know what you're doing, come prepared and stop yourself from becoming an easy target.


7. Selfie sticks aren't so bad...

Ok, they are pretty cringe, but it's ok to be cringe sometimes! The point I'm making here is not to forget to take photos of yourself, I've come back from trips before to go through plenty of pictures of beautiful places, but no proof that I was actually there! A stranger probably won't get the aesthetic you're going for, and it's awkward to ask for multiple takes if your look isn't quite gram-able in the first! I took the photo above using a selfie stick and I think it looks pretty cool, you'll never see the people around you again anyway!



So those are my tips for you, I hope they help make your solo adventure a little easier. The most important tip, though, is just do it. Face your fear, believe in yourself and just be brave, it will be an amazing adventure for you. Cheesy but true.

Comments

Popular Posts